A recent article on Medscape Medical News brought a horrific statistic to the forefront: 180,000 deaths due to diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer – all associated with increased body-mass index (and all associated with insulin resistance)..
Beside the body-weight index, the consumption of sugar does some pretty bad things to your immune system – the one in your gut called “GALT” (not John – Gut-Associated Lymphatic Tissue)
But even worse than sugar is your body’s response to it: spiking the hormone insulin.
Some of the conditions insulin (too much or too little) is involved in producing:
- Promote elevated Th1 cytokines which contribute to promotion of autoimmune disease in general
- Insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome
- Type 2 Diabetes
- POS – Polycystic Ovary Disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Sleep apnea
- Certain types of cancer
- Overall inflammation
- Obesity (of course).
Some things that will help balance insulin, decrease insulin resistance and increase sensitivity:
- Paleo diet
- Trace minerals zinc, chromium, vanadium, magnesium
- B Vitamins, esp. B6, B12, Biotin
- Essential fatty acids (Omega 3s and anti-inflammatory Omega 6s – GLA), CLA (conjugated linoleic acid)
- Amino acid Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Glycine, Taurine, L-Carnitine
- Herbs – Gymnema sylvestre, Fenugreek, Bitter Melon, Cinnamon, Licorice root (not the candy), Galega Officinalis, Bilberry, Prickly Pear, Ginseng
- and more…
Here’s an excellent article worth reading: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/5/2/109.pdf
Picture By Victovoi (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons